×

Power restoration efforts continue

ALPENA — Power restoration is ongoing after this weekend’s ice storm that knocked out power for most of northern Michigan. Companies from all over the state have been working around the clock to ensure power is restored 100%.

According to a Wednesday press release from the President and COO of Alpena Power Co., Ken Dragiewicz, as of 3 p.m. Wednesday, approximately 60% of their customers are back in service and approximately 7,000 customers remain without power.

“All available Alpena Power crews are working and we have received a mutual aid crew from the City of Bay City and brought in additional contractors and tree removal crews to assist,” Dragiewicz said in the release. “This has been a catastrophic event for Northern Michigan. The extent of tree damage is unlike anything Northeast Lower Michigan has seen in many decades. The ice buildup caused extensive damage to trees and power supply equipment resulting in power outages throughout the Northern Michigan Region.”

Power recovery efforts also continue for the Presque Isle Electric and Gas (PIE&G) service area.

PIE&G reported Wednesday evening that it had been able to restore 6,000 meters throughout its 35,000-meter system, and it has dozens of mutual aid crews assisting in restoration efforts.

“Please prepare for extended outages, with some areas experiencing disruptions lasting five days or more,” said Allan Berg, PIE&G president and CEO, in a Wednesday press release. “Our crews are working diligently to clear roads, remove downed trees, repair power lines, and rebuild damaged poles. We are bringing in more emergency crews and contractors, but the hazardous conditions from falling trees and power lines make our work challenging. We greatly appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding during this trying time.”

Also, both press releases said, Wednesday’s weather slowed restoration efforts and caused additional damage and outages.

Consumers Energy additionally announced on Wednesday evening that it has restored about 75% of the almost 97,000 customers who lost power due to the initial ice storms in northern Michigan. Numbers specific to Northeast Michigan were not provided.

“Despite continued difficult weather conditions creating logistical challenges, the company plans to restore most Northern Michigan customers by the end of Friday and will re-evaluate restoration times Friday based on the ongoing impact of (Wednesday’s) storms and the ability of crews to be able to safely continue restoration efforts,” the Consumers Energy press release said.

RESTORATION

PROCESS

The Alpena Power press release said the five-step restoration process is designed to restore power in the following order:

1. Essential functions, such as hospitals, 911, police, fire, water, sewer, etc.

2. Services, such as fuel, grocery stores, pharmacies, etc.

3. Main feeder and distribution lines

4. Areas with the largest number of customers

5. Restore individual homes

“When restoring power, we attempt to get the largest number of customers on as quickly as possible. This sometimes requires us to isolate and leave small outages to work on larger areas,” Dragiewicz said in the release.

For example, Alpena Power may be restoring a neighborhood that has 50 customers with two of them experiencing extensive damage to the service lines to the house. Those two customers will be isolated, and the company will move on to the next neighborhood. The reason behind this is that it may take as long to restore the two customers as the next neighborhood that has 50 customers, the release said. Once all large areas are energized, Alpena Power returns to restore the individual houses.

WHEN WILL MY

POWER GET TURNED ON?

“Our goal is to have all main feeders energized by the end of the day Friday, April 4, 2025, and restoration will continue throughout the weekend and possibly into next week,” Dragiewicz said in the Alpena Power release. “Customers need to prepare for additional days without power.”

Consumers Energy also hopes to have all customers restored by Friday.

PIE&G did not provide a specific date for when it hopes to be fully up and running again.

All dates and times are estimates as circumstances can easily change. It is also not guaranteed that those currently with power will not lose power again.

WHAT CAN

CUSTOMERS DO TO HELP?

Safety of customers is a top priority for each company, and they asked people to keep the following in mind:

— If using a generator, ensure they are connected properly and legally with a transfer switch so it cannot backfeed into the power lines and cause danger to crews or the public.

— Always operate a generator outdoors in a well-ventilated space.

— Stay at least 25 feet away from downed wires and anything they are touching, keep children or pets away, and report the issue by calling 911 or the power company directly.

— Be alert to crews working along slippery and ice-covered roads. Drivers should slow down or stop and wait for oncoming traffic to clear so they can safely go past workers on the roadside.

— Turn main breakers off if there is standing water anywhere near electrical devices.

— Residents can also utilize mi211.org/housing-assistance for the most up-to-date information on warming shelters in their area.

“As the outage for many customers extends into the fifth day, please keep in mind that our employees and contractors want to get the power restored as quickly and safely as possible,” Dragiewicz said in the release. “I would like to thank all the employees, contractors, and volunteers for their efforts and the many businesses and individuals that have reached out to us to help. We appreciate our customers and the community supporting our efforts and will get through this event by working together.”

Newsletter

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *
   

Starting at $2.99/week.

Subscribe Today